Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What Were They Thinking?

One of the things that I have wanted to do since moving in here at Muriel, was to remove the two 'half-walls' that you can see in these photos from 2009. One here:
Facing into the house from the front door
And the other here:
Facing the long wall to the right of the entrance
One of the things that annoyed me most about these master strokes of architecture is that they didn't seem to have any real function! I think maybe they were there to separate the "lounge" area from the rest of the 'great room' as I like to call it these days (ie the dining area and the kitchen) and from the entrance.

Unfortunately, in such a small space, all these walls did was make it seem smaller and limit the configuration that we could have our furniture in. It also increased the wear and tear on the cream carpet between the two walls- being 3.1m apart, the gap might seem wide, but once you add some chairs or a couch it becomes quite a tight fit!

I could visualise how much more open and lighter the room would feel without these obstacles, but I needed to convince PK of this and I wasn't having much luck!

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Perth, Western Australia