Wednesday, August 3, 2011

WOW: Budget Blooms

In last week's post I told you how I am trying to make the bouquet I received as a farewell gift last as long as possible, just like John and Sherry do at Young House Love. I do wish that I had taken a picture of what the bouquet looked like when I was first presented it- the overall effect was very cheerful! Here's the pic I showed you in that post:
I love receiving flowers, though it doesn't happen very often, so I thought that I'd make this one last for as long as I possibly could- with minimal effort of course! No taking the blooms out every day and snipping them or fancy liquid for my flowers! They lasted quite well in the first week in their original arrangement- I just gave them a light misting of water every day to keep them watered. Then PK and I went to Albany for a few days and I forgot all about them while watching the whales do their thing.
When we returned, I realised that flowers really don't last long without water as a few had past their peak- as you can see above. So, I took them out of their wrappings, discarded the wilty blooms and arranged them in a glass vase that I have "borrowed" (like many things) from my mum. The result was the bouquet in the first picture- notice the difference? Here's another angle for comparison.
I was pleasantly surprised that more of the iris buds opened after that transplant and enjoyed the cheerful colours for another week. Then this weekend, I repeated the culling of wilty flowers. Unfortunately, that meant the last of the irises met their maker. But I am still left with a few of the brightest of the flowers!
I've cut them down again and arranged them in a shot glass (because I'm fancy like that). Currently they are in the bathroom for a shock of cheery colour in the morning. I'm so happy that I have been able to enjoy the blooms for a little while longer- and all for free!
Thanks YHL for giving me the idea to save my blooms!

2 comments:

Ollie said...

Miss your posts :( Hope everything is ok? carla x

Cathy said...

Hey Carla! All good, I was just away from the computer for an extended time :) Watch this space!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Perth, Western Australia